Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Normal?

What is normal? By definition it means conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural. So, being 'normal' is similar, I guess, to being like everyone else. Well, what's normal to one person might not be to someone else in a different community or culture. So is anyone ever 'normal'?

In my town, there are so many different types and groups of people. To some groups, the other groups are not considered normal. But what happens to the people that don't fit into any one of the groups because they can potentially fit into all of them? That's where I stand.

I have a friend in every type of group I can think of. I have some sort of personality trait that can potentially put me into every group possible, and some of the groups I could be put in would call me a hypocrite for some of the other groups my other personality traits could put me in. But, I refuse to change who I am or what I say to fit into any of the groups, so that kind of kicks me out of all of them. So where do I fit? I don't fit, and I don't feel the need to 'fit'.

For a while I, just like every teenager, struggled to find a place to fit. That's what is expected. That's what our peers pressure us to do. And for a while, I did that. I wanted so badly to fit some where and have that close group of friends just like me, so I tried changing the things I said or the way I dressed to fit a certain group, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not change the things I believed in. I can't judge another because they don't look like me to sound like me or dress like me, but that's what fitting into a group meant to me. It took me time to realize that's not who I am. So I stopped trying.

I'm happy with who I am now, because although I still have a lot left to learn, I never have to question what I stand for or what I believe in. I get judged by some, sure, but I'm okay with that. Their opinions don't make me, and they sure as hell won't break me. Only my opinion matters when it comes to who I am or the way I dress or the things I say, and my true friends know and understand that and they like that.

So, what is normal? Its a setting on the washing machine.

No comments: